Thursday, August 17, 2006

I *Heart* Oilcloth

Photo courtesy of OilCloth.Com.

In seaching for some new inspiration & materials to work with, I discovered OILCLOTH.
This bright, interesting and ever so easy-to-clean substance has been the object of affection for mothers and messy children for generations. And now....I intend to exploit the hell out of it. I want to cover every surface of my house with it and drive my husband absolutely mad! He HATES oilcloth. It makes him feel like a child. Do you blame him? It's plastic fabric for crying out loud.

Look what Yvestown did with it! The possibilities for the stuff are endless and OilCloth.com offers lots and lots of ideas on how to turn this wipeable substance into everyday items....and all with a vintage flair.
Photo courtesy of Cath Kidston.

This little polka dot pretty is a bag sold on the Cath Kidston website. This website goes nuts with Oil Cloth stuff to decorate your kitchen and deck or patio. Have you seen a pattern that looks like this bag? Amy Butler has the Weekender Travel Bag that sorta looks like it....but I'm looking for more of a "blowling ball bag" design. Any ideas??

Oooh...speaking of ideas....check out Amy Butler's inspiration page, it has the most beautiful ideas for projects and all the pictures just grab you and force you to feel like your on vacation in the back county savannah of the south.

Before embarking on an oil cloth extravaganza....don't forget to check out these tips for pushing that sticking plastic through your sewing machine
posted by Cristina at 9:48 AM

3 Comments:

While in Minneapolis over the weekend, I visited S.R. Harris Fabrics. I found the most fabulous brown velvet to make drapes for my living room. Thanks for the tip!

While you were in Minnie did you visit The Yarnery (in St. Paul really)? It's my new favorite yarn store in Minnesota.

Also, I thought I'd suggest that next time you are in Minnie you must take a few hours to tour the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Admission to the museum is free and they have just recently opened a new wing with modern art.
Blogger Kaitie Tee, at 12:26 PM  
That bag is amazong. If you find a pattern (or I do)....sew along?
Blogger Bethro, at 6:22 AM  
Great oilcloth ideas! I just made up a lazy pattern for my bag: two seams, no zippers, store-bought handles... I am happy with the outcome, but it's not very fancy. Can't wait to see what you end up making!
Blogger Dearest Cupcake, at 5:31 AM  

Add a comment