Thursday, September 28, 2006

My New Wheels

Thank you for all the help (and additional suggestions) in picking my next pattern. It was just the distraction I needed. I wasn’t able to pick just one, so instead of forcing myself to, I decided instead to prioritize…and start…one...at...a time. Aah. Breath. I bought some super-soft baby alpaca for the Cropped Cardigan in a camel color & some grey merino for the Sangria skirt. So, more on that to come.

A whole lot of interesting things happened this past weekend that I didn't get to report on due to my chronic pattern distraction.

:::I taught my mom to knit:::

My mom refers to herself as "the knitting school dropout". She didn't show much interest after the initial frustration of trying to learn from an impatient teacher. Until....I told her that I wouldn't have kids until she learned how to knit baby booties. Miraculously she's dying to learn. And she's damn good at it so far. Oops, I think she called my bluff.

:::Enjoyed watching my dad and Frida relax:::

Frida has a way of sneaking into every single photograph. She's such a flirt.

Aaaand…dun dun da dunnnn…I GOT A SPINNING WHEEL!!
I spotted it at an estate sale. She (for some reason, I feel the need to assign her a gender) was just sitting there quietly in the corner waiting for me to claim her. She's beautiful, and old, and gives me a sense of connection to the past.


I’m now presented with the interesting task of unraveling the mystery of the wheel and answering some pressing questions. Who has spun with her? How old is she? Where was she made? And…uuhm…how do I spin? Err…well I took a spinning class over a year ago but remember absolutely nothing.

Susan has been a great help in getting me introduced to some online resources about the wheel itself, a little on wool & of course, the online spinning culture. I think I need to take another formal class using my wheel & maybe even a consultation or two on things I need to fix on her. If you live in the bay area and spin or know of someone who does – keep me in mind for lessons. I have big dreams of things I eventually want to make…

Beth and I are going to the antique fair this weekend, so I'm hoping to find a beautiful new-old basket to keep my roving in. And maybe some buttons. And a few patterns. And...And...

posted by Cristina at 6:48 PM

5 Comments:

Your mom snookered you quite well.

Congratulations on the wheel! Do you read JessaLu Knits (and Spins)? She recently acquired an old wheel. I know because I helped her lug it around the VT Sheep and Wool Festival.

Have fun with it. Maybe you can channel one of its previous spinners and learn that way. (OK, maybe another class wouldn't hurt either.)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 AM  
Next you are going to tell me that my "twin sister" is 5'4" tall. Oh I have longer hair than she does but the same color. I don't have any khaki pants that currently fit but do have a blue long sleeved tee just like your Mom!

I may get that roving to you in the mail today!!
Blogger kitkatknit, at 8:34 AM  
I'm disgusting with jealousy. If you don't show me how to use it, I'll never make calzone again.

Can I come over early on Saturday to see it?

Way to get the mom knitting.

Now tell her she needs to learn fair isle before the kiddies come.
Blogger Bethro, at 12:56 PM  
how freaking cute is your doggy? with the cropped cardi, are you gonna keep the sleeves at 3/4 sleeves? sorry i can't help you with the spinning thing. i'm sure tons of ppl are willing to help... they're like the Borg from Star Trek. Trying to assimilate everyone into spinning.
Blogger CynCyn, at 7:30 PM  
so sweet you taught your Mom! I am trying to get my 83 year old mother to knit again as she has a lots of free time.. Lucky you with the spinning wheel find .
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 AM  

Add a comment