Thursday, December 07, 2006

Healing. Knitting.

I'm still having a really hard time dealing with the Kim's tragedy. It's on my mind constantly, and I think it's because I don't really understand the weight of what they went through, or the kind of pain the healing process holds for them.

I feel so desperate for them and want to do something to make things right. But there's not a lot I can do. Other's feel the same way. So, to map out a path towards healing and helping and extending love, the crafty birds, Stephanie, Lisa and mama birdie are organizing a benefit involving the selling of crafts, which Kati and James have always been big supporters of. I will be involved with this effort. Whether it's through buying gifts for the ones that I love. Or by making something to sell. Donations to help toward the cost of the rescue mission & impending financial struggle due to James' absence can be made here.
I find a lot of comfort in knitting. I think most people do, which is why we do it, right? I finished this scarf recently and just haven't had a free moment to share it with you. But here it is in all it's glory. The pattern is Candle Flame Scarf offered up free by Chantel. This was a great pattern to knit & creates such an interesting texture, especially in Misti Alpaca, Chunky weight.

It's heavy and warm and made with lots of love for my dear friend, Katy. Her birthday's not until May, so I guess this will need to be a very early gift. I don't want her to be cold in Chico.

This little pretty is a great find from my trip to Antiques by the Bay this past weekend. It's a delicate little white flower. I usually try to bargain a bit, because I think that's the dance of the antique dealer. And, well, when in Rome, right?. But when the dealer told me that this little baby was only $3 ~ how could one argue? I did the happy dance and bought it on the spot.

Haven't taken it off since.

posted by Cristina at 4:44 PM

5 Comments:

The scarf is beautiful...I know just what you mean about feeling like you just need to do something for the Kim family. It's too big to comprehend...all of it. I've had to just stop myself from reading news articles today because I just kept making myself more upset. It's so strange to feel so connected to someone I don't even know. I'm thinking of what I can contribute, if anything, to this fundraising endeavor.
Blogger ljm, at 5:57 PM  
I think it's because of the sacrifice he made for his family. It is so easy to picture their love because of that act. Somehow that makes us (or at least me) relate to the relationship they must have had.
Blogger Bethro, at 7:13 PM  
I've been thinking a lot about the Kims today as well. Having a really hard time wrapping my head around it, and I don't even know them! I think besides the obvious of his sacrifice and his love for his family, the fact that he was so young (my husband's age) and with such young girls. Uh. I too have had to stop looking at the news because I just burst into tears.
Anyway, the scarf is beautiful! Unfortunately the link to her website doesn't work? Maybe something's wrong with the site.
I saw on another blog (no I wasn't stalking your comments, I just happened upon it) that you will be coming to the Denver area soon?!??!?!?!?!?!?! When when when?! Would be fun to meet you!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 PM  
The scarf does look beautiful! (I'm a friend of Chauntel's and I saw your comment, so I had to come look) :)

Chauntel's blog is firebrunette.blogharbor.com
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 AM  
Your version of this scarf is beautiful. It looks so warm and cozy!
Blogger Ellen Alexandra, at 6:38 PM  

Add a comment