Sunday, July 23, 2006

MY FIRST SWEATER: DONE!

Can you guys believe it? I FINALLY made my first sweater! With a bit of gentle nudging and encouragement from Stacey and Cynthia, I completed the top-down knit of Green Gable. Does this pattern pay homage to the one and only Ann of Green Gables?

So...here are my stats (for those of you who care):
Pattern: Green Gable and the KAL here.
Yarn: Brown Sheep Co. - Cotton Fleece in Candy Apple. Purchased at Lamb Shoppe in Denver from this trip.
Alterations: I did a couple of extra lace rows for an increased sexiness factor. I also added about 2 or 3 inches to the bottom. A little peep show at the top is cool...but no one needs to see my stomache.
Time to Knit: 2.5 weeks (well...really 2 weeks, but I frogged once).

In other news.....my obsession with all things vintage lives on. Old stuff....new stuff that looks old....and old people that...well...you get the picture.


The above dresses are from the Butterick pattern #6582. Think it's too adventerous? Especially for my first ever sewn garment (with the exception of the baby doll dress I made myself when I was 12 - someone asked me if I was pregnant - again, I was TWELVE....what is this world coming to?). Picture that teal number in the back in a satin-ny red...can anyone say VIXEN?...ooh ya baby!

The ladies of Sew Retro have got it goin' on...check out their projects & links - lots of great resources there! Oh oh oh and check out Harts Fabrics and Reproduction Fabrics (my favorites are the 1930's-50's designs!) and of course, everyones favorites Repro Depot.

That up there is Simplicity 4179 and you can see what cuteness Soule Mama turned it into here.
posted by Cristina at 11:33 AM

11 Comments:

Woo hoo! Green gables looks awesome on you! the pattern changes you made for yourself are super flattering.

ps. by the way... your hubby isn't the only one to put the lid down. I started doing that after I heard in my microbio class that the toilet 'spray' from flushing reaches a 20 foot radius around the toilet. um. my toothbrush is much closer than 20 feet. So. down the lid goes.
Blogger CynCyn, at 1:14 PM  
woah great sweater!!!
Blogger al, at 5:35 PM  
Yay for your first sweater!!! It's so pretty and it looks great on you!!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 PM  
Congratulations on your sweater! It's lovely!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 PM  
Fantastic green gable! looks like it fits you perfectly.

Also, I agree with you on the teal dress in red. Definite vixen factor going on there. I say go for it!

anyway, I'm coming to CWS next week (July 31) so I hope to see you there!
Blogger Jen, at 5:27 PM  
Woo-hoo, great job! Love how it turned out. The red color is great too. Very nice for your first knitted garment too, I'm impressed! I thought I had you saved in my Bloglines, but I didn't, but now I do.
Blogger WandaWoman, at 8:02 PM  
Your Green Gable top looks like a perfect fit. Well done! :)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  
I love your Green Gables. It fits you so nicely.
Blogger Kaitie Tee, at 2:22 PM  
your green gable turned out beautifully! and you finished so quickly...i cast on back in june...and i'm only a bit over halfway done, i think. congratulations on your first sweater!
Blogger Carol, at 3:28 PM  
love the sweater. pretty color and it fits nicely!
Blogger Unknown, at 8:46 PM  
Your GG is a perfect fit!! I hope mine turns out that way (once I get going on it!)
Blogger Allegra, at 8:12 AM  

Add a comment